Our primary evidence for buttons comes from the excavation of a camp in New York between 1907 and 1927. The excavations were recorded in 'The Graphic' in 1913 and later in the regimental magazine. Eventually the buttons were presented to the regimental museum in Leicester.
The officers buttons were plated in silver. Other ranks buttons were a high-tin content alloy, similar to modern pewter.
The shank is wire soldered/brazed onto the rear of the button, which are domed.
The buttons come in different sizes; the coat buttons are larger (approx. to 0.9") than waistcoat buttons (approx. 0.7"). The other ranks buttons appear to be engraved, whereas the officers buttons have a more intricate relief pattern.